Saturday, December 09, 2006

Bul nabi

While walking through the local market Thursday we came across a particular culinary offering we'd seen before - moths. This time though, given the cold temperatures, they were being cooked and served up hot to customers.

Now much as I would have liked to have taken a picture of this, there are times in Korea when you worry that the locals might be a little sensitive about certain things, so I wasn't sure if this was the kind of stall I could just walk up to take a photo of in a casual kind of way. But suddenly seeing the stall-holder distracted by a customer, I took the chance to sprint over quickly and take a quick snap. This of course is a mistake, because I'd forgotten the rather obvious fact that as a foreigner you naturally attract attention and sudden movements only serve to publicise your actions more.

The result was one woman nearby - at least with a smile on her face - saying "he must be taking a picture because we eat insects", but two men near the stall didn't look as amused. Next time I'll go for the direct approach of asking the stall-holder - I'll probably get a better shot of the steaming hot moths that way.

While there may be some sensitivity on the subject of eating insects, I don't really see the need for it; this happens in plenty of cultures and it doesn't bother me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They are delicious. Really!
Next time you see them, give them a try. I'm sure you'll like them.

Post a Comment