Thursday, October 26, 2006

Hwajangshil eodieyo?

Our bathroom toilet is made by Daelim, and they seem fairly popular judging by the various toilets and urinals I've seen in public bathrooms elsewhere. I was surprised then to notice a Daelim motorcycle while walking down a street yesterday. It must be the same company and I'd really like to know how they successfully market them given their toilet connection. I can't quite picture a Korean biker proudly talking of sitting astride their Daelim.

I suppose this says something about Korean chaebols and the way companies like LG can make high-tech electronic products while also building and branding entire apartment blocks of slightly questionable quality. In that respect, Korea would be a Western marketer's dream as there appears no need to invent niche brands to ensure your product ranges are intellectually and emotionally ring-fenced. Personally, I'll never be able to look at a Daelim bike the same way again after making the connection.

No comments:

Post a Comment